The legal community is not immune to workplace employment risks. Like other employers, law firms have significant exposure to employment discrimination, sexual harassment, retaliation, wrongful termination, and third-party claims. The number of employment related charges against law firms has increased in recent years, and the cost of defending and settling these matters continues to rise.
There are a wide variety of steps that law firms can take to mitigate or avoid their exposure to employment risks, and these practices should be established and adhered to by all members of the firm. However, with the high volume of human interaction within the practice of law, the potential for employment risk increases. For this reason, the transfer of this financial exposure to a broad employment practices liability insurance policy is a prudent, additional risk management tool.
The Law Firm Service Team of Lemme, a division of EPIC Insurance Brokers & Consultants, has deep expertise negotiating employment practices liability policies specifically tailored to address the unique exposures faced by law firms.
Some examples of coverage features that can be negotiated include:
- Wrongful Employment Act definitions, including coverage for actual or alleged wrongful termination, age, race or gender discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and other workplace torts
- Coverage for harassment or discrimination by third parties
- Independent contractor, leased employee, and volunteer coverage
- Broad coverage for claims brought by partners and for claims for failure to make partner
- Defense cost coverage for violations of WARN, COBRA, disability benefits law, or similar laws when alleged in connection with a covered claim
- Punitive damage coverage, most favorable venue affirmation where insurable
- Claim reporting obligation is triggered only when certain individuals within firm become aware of claim
- Full prior acts coverage available
- Worldwide coverage available
- No intentional acts exclusion
- Choice of counsel available, allowing input in selection of defense counsel
- Majority of EPLI insurers now offer comprehensive risk management programs as part of their EPLI offering, and at no additional costs
- Limits of liability in excess of $20 million are available
- EPLI can be purchased in conjunction with Management Liability (ML) insurance
Our Law Firm Service Team is available to answer any questions you may have about employment practices liability insurance coverage.
EPIC’s Law Firm Service Team
The Law Firm Service Team of Lemme, a division of EPIC Insurance Brokers & Consultants, specializes in assisting law firms worldwide with the procurement of insurance coverage. Our team provides personal, proactive, timely and exceptional service while being fully transparent and accountable to our clients. We do not believe in the status quo. Experienced, results driven brokers negotiate creative insurance solutions while also offering best practice advice, valuable insight and risk management services for our law firm clients.